Friday, January 17, 2014

Life 3: Chopped

I logged back in, but this time the server had 35 players or so instead of 5.  It really heightens the intensity just knowing you are more likely to run into someone.

I head north from Dolina through the woods for cover.  I come upon what appears to be a large construction site with a road running northwest and southeast on the northern edge of the site.  I crouch at the treeline and carefully survey the area.  I can see at least two zombies around the perimeter, but no movement inside the site.  A concrete wall surrounds most of the site, but I can see an opening in the wall near a small pond on the south side.  I head for it.

I have to crawl under the gap in the wall.  Inside, there are a few small out buildings and then the main concrete structure.  Searching the outer buildings turns up nothing of interest, so I head into the main structure.  I find a large camping pack tucked into the corner of a small unfinished room.  Its red, but it holds so much more than the pack I am currently using that I decide to switch out for it.  Searching the rest of the structure turns up more inferior backpacks, some small tools, and a shovel, but not needing any of these I pass them up.

At one point I feel like I hear a groan or something from another person.  I make my way back down the stairs and around to the front of the structure facing the road.  I freeze when I see the body.  There is a woman's body here, wearing a shirt and some underwear.  The body is still bleeding, and I have no idea how long it has been there.  I cant tell if she fell off the structure, or if she was shot or what.  There is a hill opposite the road, and I become wary of possible snipers.

I head back to my hole through the wall, and quickly get back into the treeline.  Pausing in a dense bush, I survey the hill for snipers, but I don't see anything.  I decide to follow the road northwest from the treeline.

The road leads to a town called Polana.  This is probably the second largest town so far, after the city I first found myself in at the coast.  I am uphill looking down onto the town from the southeast.  There is a small sparse line of trees heading down into the town from here, so I begin to follow that creeping along as discretely as possible.  I actually sneak up on a zombie looking the other way.  I decide to get the jump on him so he doesn't come chasing me later.  Once he is dispatched, I continue towards town.

At the edge of town, I once again stop and look for movement.  Some time passes, and I decide its safe.  I begin my sweep at the southern most building.  I check a barn, some sheds, and a few two story houses.  I find a lot of soda and food.  I take some with me, eat some, and leave the more damaged items.  I check a few ruined cars, and find a new pair of shoes in the trunk of one.  I move on to some kind of supermarket.  Inside I find more 7.62mm ammo, and even more food.  I begin to head to the next building, when I catch movement out of the corner of my left eye.

I move so that there is a fence between me and what looked like a man running into a building northeast of the supermarket.  I creep around, but the man must have seen or heard me as well, as he has turned in my direction.  He is wearing clothing similar to mine, with a green backpack and a motorcycle helmet on.  He appears to be unarmed.

"Hello!" I say, "Friendly here, I will keep out of your way."  The man raises his fists and lowers them a few times.  I wave as a gesture of good will.  The man draws a fire ax from over his shoulder.

"Hey, don't worry."  I say.  "I'll be on my way."  Wordless, the man responds by charging at me; the ax waving wildly above his head.  Before I can react to what is happening, he lands a blow, and I am bleeding.

I take off sprinting to the south east from where I came.  I leap a low fence, cut around a house, and head a few dozen meters outside of town.  I stop for a moment, with blood dripping down my clothes.  I begin to search my pack for a bandage.  "Maybe he just wanted me out of the town." I thought.  Just then, he turned the corner of the building, still running at me with his ax.

I resume fleeing.  I head down to the barn, weaving through 3 meter tall piles of straw and hay.  I head around a shed and through a small opening in a tall fence.  I run downhill, across a road running southwest out of town, and into the trees on the other side of the road.  I make my way another hundred yards uphill.  I am still bleeding, and I am starting to feel faint.  The colors in my vision seem fainter than before.  I stop in some dense foliage and begin to bandage myself, looking downhill.  No sign of the crazed ax man.  I drink two sodas and eat a can of tuna, hoping that the sugar and protein will help my body replenish the blood Ive lost.

"What an asshole."  I think in disbelief.

I was genuinely surprised that a man armed with an ax would try to attack another man armed with a bat.  It seems like a huge risk to take, but maybe he had medical supplies where he thought he could heal himself if he won the melee?  In hindsight I wondered what would have happened if I had drawn my FNx45 on him.  Would he call the bluff?  Why didn't he respond?  Did he even speak English?

No comments:

Post a Comment