Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Life 3: Everything to lose

The next morning, I survey the town below.  I can see zombies and closed doors; both are signs that I could be the only one here.  I advance, still cautious.

It turns out to be quite fruitful.  I find a large fireman's ax, which proves to be even more effective at dispatching zombies as I take down a half dozen during my looting.  Loot is plentiful.  I find first aid, food, another canteen, and plenty more that I leave behind.  I find a propane tank and a portable propane stove.  I fill my water containers, and move west northwest.

There is another town within sight of the first town.  The first thing I begin to loot is a parking lot.  I find a map of the area.  The previous town was Novy Sobor, and this town in Stary Sobor.  I find much of the same things here, and I need little of it.  However, the map indicates a small military compound across a field northwest of town.  I decided that I should check it out, since both of these nearby towns had not been looted it was possible the military compound also had not been looted.

Getting there was nerve racking.  I sprinted at least 200 meters across a field when there was no cover available.  There was some trees and brush along one of the roads leading north est towards the base, so I hunkered down when I got to this point.  Squinting at the base several hundred yards ahead of me, I notice movement.  There is a person running away from the base in a north east direction.  I can tell by their posture that they are holding a rifle of some kind.  I watch them move until they are out of sight.

Assuming that person looted anything worth looting, I am somewhat dejected as I creep into the base.  I crawl under a hole in the eastern wall, and head for the largest building, which turns out to be some kind of administration building.  The front door is still shut!  I go inside.  Within minutes I find a magazine full of rounds for my handgun, and I lock and load.  I find a camo jacket to match my pants.  I find a large (empty) ammo box, and upstairs I find several boxes of 5.56m and 7.62mm ammo.

I head outside.  The first barracks I find appears to have been looted.  I find a pair of black gloves and a kevlar helmet.  I find a green hunting backpack, which is much harder to notice than the bright red hiking backpack I have, so I swap my stuff out.

In the next barracks, I find an M4 automatic rifle in the first bedroom.  Completing my search of the barracks turns up two 30 round magazines, which I load with ammunition and slap one into the rifle.  I find a second magazine for my handgun, as well as a tactical vest.  I grab a pair of military boots and run.  By the time I am sprinting into a nearby patch of trees, I look like I am ready for deployment.

It is a strange feeling at this point in the game for me.  I know I don't want to be a random bandit, but now that I am fully equipped I am at a loss of what to do.  I am healthy, stocked with food, water, medical supplies, ammunition, and a means to deliver said ammunition.  Where will I go from here?

No comments:

Post a Comment