Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Life 3: Healthy

The health system in DayZ is really cool.  Your virtual body actually has five types of storage, and they are all related.  You have your stomach, your hydration, your blood level, your energy level, and your health level.  Keep in mind that none of these have a "bar" or anything on the GUI.  Your stomach, energy, and hydration levels are communicated vaguely through status messages ("I feel thirsty").  Your blood level is expressed as the color saturation in your vision.  As you lose blood, colors begin to fade towards black and white.  Your health is expressed by blurriness in your vision.

Before this session, I had been thinking my blurry screen was some kind of bug in the alpha.  Thanks to Merino and his in-depth video guides, I learned what my issue was.  If you are going to play DayZ you need to watch his videos.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9YSGX22B6Z3k9-hJzJcz4w/videos

I find myself squinting to make out the shapes in Polana.  I need to eat, drink, and rest to feel better.  However, I need more supplies to do that.  Stuck between a rock and a hard place, I try to move back into town.  I have to fend off two more zombies with my bat, and now I am even more exhausted.  I make it to the town well, and I drink my fill.  I eat a can of beans, fill my canteen, and head off north west through the trees.

A short walk brings me to the edge of a field looking down onto another town.  I stay in the the woods, sipping my canteen and munching on rice.  As my strength returns, my vision begins to clear.  Before long, I am 100% again.  Side note, raw rice is really crunchy.

I don't spend much time in this town.  I check a few buildings, and pick up another can of food or two.  Really, the only thing worth note that I find is an ax.  After felling a pair of zombies with it, it seems much more effective than the bat was.  As I head back towards the trees I came from, I notice a sign that says this is the town of Gorka.

I decide to change it up and head more to the west.  However, there are a lot of open fields in this area, and being without cover makes me nervous.  I end up heading slightly south west in order to stay in the trees.  Much more time goes by.  I pass a country road or two, but hardly anything of note.  At some point, I run out of trees.  There are patches here and there around the road that leads in a south western direction, but most of the area north of me is open.  I sprint from one clump of trees to another, ending up on a hill.  At the edge of the woods, I find myself looking into a sunset over a slightly larger town down in the valley.  About 200 meters lie between the edge of the woods and the town.  I spot a walker or two shambling around the field closer to the town.  I decide to move into the town the next morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment