Monday, January 27, 2014

Life 3: Firefight

This is pasted from my clan forums.  What a night.  Lets just say that image to the right is no longer accurate.  I am a new spawn now

Last night we had a group of 5 on. I met up with the group in the north firehouse in Elektro. It was myself, Thaddios, Greg, and at least 2 others but now I am forgetting the names.

We had one pleasant encounter with a player in the firehouse. He was detained, questioned, and then released with supplies after some good banter. Strangely, my handcuff keys did not seem to release him from his bindings, despite removing the keys form my inventory.

We then RV'd at the green house with the water pump on the hill above Elektro, and proceeded east along the wooded hills northeast of the highway to reports of bandits in Kamyshovo. The trip to Kamyshovo is uneventful. We survey the town, enter it, drink our fill at the pump, and egress back to the woods edge without incident. It is decided that Thaddios will lead the other two guys down the main road back to Elektro, and Greg and myself will climb the hill once more to provide overwatch.

Contact
We proceeded back towards the green house. 3 of us are coming up through the woods from the highway. Greg is above me somewhere on sniper hill, and I am about halfway up the hill just higher up than the house. I believe I was the first one with eyes on the house. I spot two players, and call out eyes on 2 players at the green house trying to determine if they are part of the team who took the road. I get a confirm that the players at the house are friendly, but there are 3 not 2.

Puzzled, about 5 seconds later I spot our 3 guys moving towards the green house from the east, and then call out that there are at least 2 OTHER players here and they headed west northwest out of my vision, across the road. Someone else in the group (was it greg?) also spots them and confirms. At this point, three of our men are at the east side of the green house.

At this point I move about 10 meters closer to the road on the hill just above the house. After clearing some bushes, I practically bump into an unidentified player. He is within 10 meters, kneeling, with his back to me. He has a mosin raised to his shoulder, and a fire ax over his back. The mosin is pointing down either towards the road near the house, or towards our friendlies at the house.

It is at this point where communication truly broke down for me. I quickly say that I have an armed player on the hill in team coms. Then, I draw my fnx45 and open direct communication to the player ordering him to stop moving and put his hands on his head. He complies. There is a lot of confusion on coms at this point. I honestly cannot remember who was speaking or what was said. I had virtual tunnel vision on the player with his hands up. It should be noted that was the first time I was in this kind of situation in DayZ.

I tell the player over direct communication that I intend to restrain him with handcuffs. He begs me not to shoot him. At this point it has only been about 15 seconds since I spotted the player, 20 seconds since our team got to the east side of the green house, and 25 seconds since I spotted two other players (now out of sight) to the west.

I move to the complying player with his hands up, hit my hotkey to pull out my cuffs, then a shot rings out. I dont think I am hit, but I start to panic looking around for its source. It was very close. About 2 seconds later, I see the two players I had seen moving west from the green house coming up the hill at me from the north west. They are firing at me with M4s. I have just enough time to pull out my pistol, rapid fire 4 or 5 rounds at one of the two players from the hip, hear the complying player yell "dont shoot!", and then I am dead. I am pretty sure the guy with his hands up was also shot.

At this point I cant say for sure what happens. I try to get out of my tunnel vision and communicate to the rest of the team what is happening. From my corpse I can hear extended gunfire. I know Thaddios was killed while returning fire, but I dont know where. Team coms are a jumble of people trying to talk. I respawned and booked it back down there. I made it to the green house where two of our team remained. The direct hostiles were gone, at least 1 was killed. The bodies were all gone by the time I made it back.

The two in the house were pinned by sniper fire. I run in just as one of us is hit. We spend some time trying to revive him from being unconcious, and suddenly the three of us are killed by M4 fire close range from one of the windows of the house.


Hindsight
I need to learn to communicate better. Apparently, my exact position near the house was unclear to the team. Also, I should have been clearer and more sure of myself that I saw unidentified players. Also, I was told that I should not have initiated contact with the player with the mosin I found until more of the team was with me, but in the moment I thought he was about to shoot my friends so I acted. Perhaps in hindsight I should have just shot him? He had a weapon up to his shoulder in the direction of friendlies, and was not announcing his presence. What do you guys think I should have done differently? Can anyone else who was on add details I missed?

No comments:

Post a Comment