Sunday, January 26, 2014

Life 3: Meta

I have decided to discontinue regular use of a first person "in character" narrator in the posts.  It gets weird with talking about working and communicating with people through teamspeak or some other chat program.  Also, many of the issues afflicting the alpha gameplay experience are quite hard to communicate from the perspective of the game character.  For example, zombies rising up through the floor of a second story building to attack you; friends accidentally running hundreds of meters farther than it appears to them, friends being disconnected, etc.

My clan, Angels of the Void, is a large group with a common interest in eliminating bandits and helping bambis (new players) get started.  Last night I was able to join up with a group of them.  Eight players on the screen (which is more than I have ever seen at once) and we all are reasonably geared up AND working together!  It was an entirely unique gaming experience so far.

We moved as a unit from the Balota airfield through the woods along the north side of Cherno.  I was one of two assigned to eliminate zombies with my ax so no other players would hear our gunshots.  We were playing on a full server, but actually did not encounter any players.  We did spot a lone player on a rooftop far away.  He turned towards us with his rifle, and one of our snipers sent a shot right by his head and he retreated out of our sight.

There are plenty of logistical problems with such a large group at this stage.  There is no in-game HUD as I have stated previously, so there is always a lingering danger of friendly fire.  On more than one occasion someone would call out "Who is that guy over there by the tree!?" to which someone else would call out "Thats me!".  Additionally, it became difficult to tell who you were dealing with.  If I said "I have a spare bandage", it was challenging for my squad mates to figure out who I was.  One or two players had recurring disconnection issues that required the group to hold up in several questionable positions as well.

I do enjoy the game much more with the option of having another player or two that I can trust!

No comments:

Post a Comment